If your family is anything like mine then when it comes to a kids party or a family birthday you can never find where you stored the wrapping paper, let alone the scissors and a roll of sellotape! I first made a Recycled Denim Wrapping Paper Storage Bag this time last year in order to be able to hide the these things from the children!
I didn’t have any cupboards in our living or dining room that were tall enough to put long tubes of gift wrap in so I decided the best thing would be to stash them behind the curtain in my craft room or bedroom safely hidden away from little hands. To stop the paper becoming crumpled up I needed to create a bag that it could be hung up off the floor and out of the way. I didn’t know then that this Recycled Denim Wrapping Paper Storage Bag would become so flipping useful to have around so a year on I’ve decided to share how I made it so you can make one too!
The main thing to point out is that the size of the jeans you use will affect how many rolls of paper it can hold. I used a pair of my husbands medium sized jeans and it holds 5-6 rolls comfortably. You could head to the charity shops to find the size of jeans you need if you haven’t got a suitable pair at home.
How to make a Recycled Denim Wrapping Paper Storage Bag:
- Cut one of the legs off your pair of jeans. You may need to cut down the leg a bit to get an even, straight edge along the length of your bag. I then needed to cut and reposition the waist band on the back of the pair of jeans to ensure it would be the same height around the top of the storage bag.
2. Sew up the open edge of the storage bag where the crotch and seat of the jeans were. Make sure you leave the jeans pockets intact as these make perfect pockets to store scissors, sellotape, gift tags etc. To prevent the material fraying, add a row of zig zag stitch along the edge too.
3. Cut the bottom of the leg off to about 3 or 4 inches longer than the length of a roll of wrapping paper (this is so the bag is not too deep) and sew up the bottom of the leg. I also flattened out the bottom of the bag and sewed across perpendicular to create a triangle at each side of the bag. This will create a flattened bottom to the bag.
4. If you want to, put a key ring through the denim waistband so your Recycled Denim Wrapping Paper Storage Bag can be hung up on a small hook. Or you could just use the belt loop to hang it up if it is in the right position as mine is below.
5. If you want to go all out then add some embellishments to your jeans or perhaps a ribbon tie for the top. I didn’t bother with this part but it would make it look extra cool.
That’s all there is to it. Hope that the Recycled Denim Wrapping Paper Storage Bag will be a useful addition to your household!
If you enjoyed this useful Recycled Denim Wrapping Paper Storage Bag idea, why not PIN it?