This Fresh and Creamy Carbonara Sauce Recipe is one of our go-to recipes for nights when making dinner needs to be quick such as when it is the kids’ swimming lessons. The children love it and it is cheap and easy to make, using only 6 ingredients.
There are a hundreds of carbonara recipes out there which have the same basic ingredients: eggs, Parmesan cheese and garlic. Traditional carbonara recipes don’t include the use of cream but we love this one because it does which helps to make plenty of delicious sauce, and it has loads of parmesan cheese in it!
I often make pasta from scratch to use with this Fresh and Creamy Carbonara Sauce Recipe but it is just as good using a packet of pasta. It works with virtually any shape you like; spaghetti, tagliatelle, penne, fusilli, etc.
Ingredients (for four people):
200g bacon lardons
100ml double cream
100g freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic
Fresh and Creamy Carbonara Sauce Method:
- Boil a pan of water and put dried pasta in to cook. If you are using fresh pasta wait until you have cooked the bacon lardons or it will be over done.
2. Fry the bacon lardons in a large pan with a little oil. When you are nearing the end of the cooking time add 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Take care not to burn the garlic.
3. Crack 3 eggs into a large measuring jug, add 100ml of double cream and 50g of the grated parmesan. Whisk together.
4. Take a cup full (about 200ml) of the pasta water out of the cooking pot and put to one side. Turn the heat on the lardons down very low.
5. Now you are all ready to put it all together but you will need to work quickly!
6. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the lardons (or use tongs/spaghetti spoon to transfer it) and pour over the sauce. Add pasta water a little at a time as you stir the pan quickly, until you get the consistency of sauce you want. If your pan is too hot, or you take too long, you may end up with a sauce that resembles scrambled egg!
7. Serve immediately with the remaining cheese sprinkled over the top. For extra flavour, sprinkle a handful of parsley over the top too.
Why not PIN this recipe for later?